Car Service: To Hire or Not to Hire?
To Answer Your Question: Hire.
Are you contemplating whether or not to hire a car service to depart from your reception? If so, you’re not alone. I feel like a lot of couples either get stuck on this decision, or forget about it until the very last minute. In today’s post, I want to discuss #1: Why you should hire a car service and how it can eliminate some wedding day stress and #2: What questions to ask your car service before you hire them. Let’s dive in!
WHY should we hire a car service?
The reason you hire wedding vendors is really simple: to ensure that you and your new hubby/wifey have to do as little as humanly possible on your big day. You want your only concern to be enjoying each other and your guests. You’re going to hire someone to serve the food, to play the music, to perform the ceremony, to take photos, and someone to coordinate the day. Why? so YOU don’t have to! Leaving your reception and starting your wedding night should be no different. You shouldn’t have to do a thing! Even if it is simply asking a bridesmaid to call an Uber at a certain time, all you should have to do is get in the car and go!
Oh, we can just drive ourselves!
This is true, you CAN drive yourselves, but will you WANT to drive yourselves? If you choose to drive yourselves away from your reception, you will have to think about these logistics instead of hitting the dance floor without a care:
- You will have to be sure your vehicle is at the venue and in the right spot. This might come with the need to move the car halfway through the reception – either you’ll have to move it yourself or coordinate with someone else to get your keys and move it for you.
- You will have to keep tabs on your keys. This doesn’t sound like something you want to be worrying about while you’re dropping it low on the dance floor.
- One of you will have to “cut back on the fun” at the reception. This isn’t a huge deal for everyone, but it’s your big day- if you wan to have a few drinks, you should be able to without a care.
- You are going to be the most tired you’ve ever been in your life – driving in the dark will take some serious concentration. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d think you’d rather be cuddling like newlyweds in the backseat instead of worrying about yielding and blinkers.
Well now that you say that…
Just reading those logistics stresses me out! And my goodness I don’t want you to be stressed at your wedding reception! Wedding reception = celebration, not stressful logistics.
What about the $$$?
You do NOT have to hire a fancy-smancy car that costs thousands of dollars. You can hire a basic limousine or town car at a reasonable price, or go with the even cheaper route and ask a bridal party member to request an Uber 15 minutes before send off. Either way, the goal is for you not to have to worry about driving!
Questions to ask your car service
Hopefully by now you’ve decided that a car service is right for you! So now that you’re convinced, I want to give you some questions to ask your car service before signing the dotted line for hire.
- “Have you/this car driven to our destination before?” You want to be sure the driver knows exactly where he/she is going and that the vehicle will fit in the driveway or parking lot.
- “Will the driver help with our bags?” Most of the time they will, but you want to confirm so you’re not hauling a giant suitcase in your wedding attire.
- “Is the driver tip included?” You definitely want to tip your driver, but make sure it isn’t already included in your bill!
- “Do you charge a flat rate, hourly rate, or by mileage?” This is important if your destination is a long way from your venue.
- “Can we drink champagne?” Just because it’s fun 🙂
- “Can the driver arrive at the venue 15-30 minutes before our send off time?” It is always a good idea to have the driver arrive early. That way there is a little wriggle room if they hit traffic or get lost.
It’s time to hire!
Now that you are confident in your decision to hire a car service, start calling the services in your venue area. Gather pricing and ask the research questions we talked about- And if you’re really into the look of the car, schedule a time to go check it out!
Once you’ve done your research and decided on the perfect fit, all you’ll have to do on wedding day is hop right in and ride off into your wedding night!
Happy Wedding Planning!
Interested in having the Jackson & June team plan, design, or coordinate your big day? Find out more here!